Re: San Diego (was RE: Meetings in other regions)

2006-07-19 09:16:24
Eliot Lear wrote:

Minneapolis *is* a hub for Northwest.
4. More generally, secondary venues have less total airline seating capacity
and
the concentration of our 1200-1400 attendees flying in and out close together
usually has a noticeable impact on their flights.

This is unlikely to be a problem, because we're merely the next
1200-1400 attendees that fly in, and in an area like San Diego we're one
of several conferences that will go on at the same time, I'm sure.
What's more, the next 1200-1400 will begin to fly in as we depart.  So
the capacity is probably there.

Sand Diego is the busiest single runway commercial airport in the United
states. it handles approximately 40,000 passenger arrivals/departures
per day with about 300 commercial flights arriving per day. 1/3 of all
flights are southwest which is the part that doesn't really help folks
connecting internationally.

If the entire IETF were to fly in Lindberg field on the same day that
would be approximately 5% of the seats. I would suspect that more people
than that fly in to visit seaworld  on a given day.

Eliot