Re: San Diego (was RE: Meetings in other regions)

2006-07-19 10:47:57
On 19-jul-2006, at 15:45, Dave Crocker wrote:

I agree that major hub airports are a little easier to reach,
but maybe that's why we can get meeting space more easily
in non-hub cities?

If a non-hub venue offers dramatic net price savings, fabulous facilities, or
some other strong justification, it makes sense to go there.

Otherwise, a non-hum city forces virtually the entire set of attendees to:

1. Experience an extra flight, each way, with its attendant inconveniences and
risks (higher risk of lost luggage, missed connections, etc.)

2. Pay higher air fares, since secondary venues do not have the airline
competition that major hubs do.

I certainly don't fly as much as the next IETF-er, but in my experience, direct flights are almost always more expensive than indirect ones. Obviously a direct flight is much more convenient, but some indirect ones are actually pretty good while others are terrible and some direct flights are also pretty bad. Based on my experience past few years I would be happy to change planes again in Iceland (and probably in any other Schengen country where you only go through immigration when entering the Schengen zone initially) but not in the US if I can avoid it because either you have to build in ridiculous amounts of extra time or you run the risk of missing a connection because of the lines at immigration, especially at large airports such as JFK and LAX. As a rule, smaller is better, upto a point. This seems to go for the planes too, those 747 air-dinosaurs aren't very convenient, particularly with (un)boarding.

Another issue is ground transportation. I guess most people don't mind using a taxi, but having to stand in line for one isn't exactly what I need after an intercontinental flight...

All in all, San Diego seems like a pretty bad choice for a meeting place: it's even hard to get to from inside the US, and it's as far as you can get from Europe without leaving the continental US.