knowing the technical background (was: Re: L2VPNs must not be IP(v4)-only)

2006-08-18 02:03:49
Dear Keith,
thank your for this mail. I experienced the same problem as your TCP and IPv4/IPv6 example with linguistic issues and globalization upgrading to multilingualisation. BCP 47 should not be internationalization only. Except that in my case the non informed lobby is attempting market dominance, what is not the case for IPv4.

From these examples I would add three remarks:

- it is not that easy to teach something you are yourself working on and when opposed for non technical reasons. We identified that the proposed IETF position was hurting the architectural principles we worked on for the users. This was not really important had it be a quickly forgotten RFC. Howerver, the IANA (and the IANA's future) was involved and that would badly teach the market. The lesson is that we should make a difference between documents for information, for standardisation, and for registration by the IANA (affecting technologies options for a long time - in this case still much more than the DNS or IPv6).

- overall consistency is not easy to reach in the way the IETF works, without a networking generalised model (such as the one I use for a long) with a maintained structured documentation along that model. For example, in your IPv6 area I spent days two years ago summarising the issue for the IPv6 TF for the reasons you quote, having experts reviewing it. I kept the feeling it was outdated when published, and that IPv6 was something confuse, changing, and bottom-up from a very limited set of non authoritative and sometimes conflicting visions. I am sure it is possible to say the same thing in a compact, crystal clear, and authoritative updated document (showing many not explored possibilities). At this stage I found no one having a full command of the whole IETF doctrine. When I read IAB texts on languages and multuilingualisation, I feel exactly the same way as you feel about IPv6 and some WGs.

- there is obviously an ethical issue in the way WGs work. If invention is involved it must start from an open minded clean sheet study of the issue. Not from the pre-position of some members. Also, BCP should be based upon a review of all the existing real practices or works.

I hoped the IAB mailing list on possible future architectures would permit to make some progress into the direction of a networking generalised model, in order to investigate further on the evolution of each of its components. This has not happened. IMHO, this shows the problem is with the IAB and the way the Charters are reviewed and respected. As long as the IESG does not ask first "does that I-D fulfils the intents of the WG-Charter" and the WG do not propose Charter changes when they feel necessary, we will have that kind of technical culture and overall consistency problem.

jfc