Re: NOMCOM term limits... Re: Now there seems to be lack of communicaiton here...

2006-09-05 11:52:34

--On Tuesday, September 05, 2006 9:20 AM -0700 todd glassey <tglassey(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net> wrote:

John - the problem, is that management doesn't want either of
us to gain any traction on reform or process with real
oversight, and actually for all my
ssssssssssssssssssssssssscreaming into the wind all I really
want is a process that actually is fair and open.

Again - I think the answer is a cafeteria style
standardization process where the IETF nor IESG are
responsible for the actual promotion of proposed standard to
standard status ...

Todd,

I think you are describing no standardization process at all. Maybe it would be a specification-publishing process, but perhaps anyone could do that with a few web pages and an ability to shout "people should pay attention to me" and then see if anyone listens.

Again, if you have a proposal that is specific enough to stand careful review and scrutiny, then write it up as a well-formed I-D and get it posted. At the moment, my assumption is that even your definition of "fair and open" differs from the general consensus of the IETF community _and_ that of the implementer/ user community. No amount of mailing list posting will reverse that assumption, only a proposal that is specific enough to really evaluate.

Without such a proposal, you are doing little more than screaming "I don't like the way it works, you are required to change it" over and over again. That is not persuasive. Indeed, "screaming" may be the wrong metaphor wrt what you are doing into the wind.

   john

p.s. If I felt that there were a management conspiracy against openness or fairness around here, I'd just quietly go somewhere else and try to encourage others --including vendors and implementers-- to follow. The IETF is really not that important; the development work, products, and the Internet are.