Re: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process rather than some

2006-09-11 08:26:42
    > From: "todd glassey" <tglassey(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net>

    > Why cant the IETF and IESG Embrace open elections

Because the members are generally happy with the system we have now. It's
called democracy - and you're outvoted.

Remember, we had this system for quite a while before the last major rework
of the process (i.e. we'd all seen it in action for some years, and were able
to judge how well was working), and the outcome of that rework was a
standards document - i.e. something suject to community approval, i.e.
democracy - which made adjustments, but retained the basic framework. If
people weren't generally happy with that basic framework, it would have been
obvious at the Last Call of the document.

IMO, the IETF has some significant problems, but the process for selecting
people for leadership positions isn't one of them.

Now please stop beating this dead horse, on which you obviously don't have
much support.

        Noel