Re: Facts, please, not handwaving [Re: Its about mandate RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process]

2006-09-18 21:47:55
On 9/18/06, Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

> From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com]
>
> Let's see - HTTP/1.1 was published as Proposed Standard in
> January 1997, and draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-00.txt was posted
> in November 1995.

The first drafts of the spec were submitted in 1992/93 as you know.

It still isn't recognized as an IETF standard.

Thankfully, the complete failure known as HTTP 1.1 would never make it
to Proposed Standard under the unwritten process we have now. For
example, it doesn't contain a mandatory, universally interoperable
authentication feature.

--

Robert Sayre