Re: Facts, please, not handwaving [Re: Its about mandate RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process]

2006-09-18 23:26:00
On 9/19/06, Russ Allbery <rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu> wrote:
Robert Sayre <sayrer(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

> Thankfully, the complete failure known as HTTP 1.1 would never make it
> to Proposed Standard under the unwritten process we have now. For
> example, it doesn't contain a mandatory, universally interoperable
> authentication feature.

That's right, it doesn't, and the lack of that feature is a first-rate
pain in the ass.

I don't disagree. The IETF might first try to design an authentication
feature worth requiring. None of the current options are at all
satisfactory.

The IETF requires such things not to scuttle protocols that don't have
them but to get people to go back and add them early when it's still
possible.

I'm sure the latter is the reason it's done, but the result can go either way.

--

Robert Sayre