Re: security features.... (Re: Facts, please)

2006-09-19 12:14:12
On Tue Sep 19 18:50:41 2006, Robert Sayre wrote:
Tony Finch wrote:
The implementations fail to use the negotiation features to
work securely when possible, and instead baffle users with terrible user
interfaces bristling with options.

Negotiation features don't work very well in practice so client
vendors don't rely on them.

They work just fine in email, which is where Tony is complaining about their lack of use.

It's entirely possible to discover TLS support and authentication methods, and automatically select the strongest combination, with minimal user interaction. I have yet to find any email server (IMAP, ESMTP, ACAP, etc) for which the negotiation in-built into the protocol fails to the extent that the negotiated features are not in fact supported.

Twice, I have seen the negotiated features fail, but only twice, both times asa result of bugs in the server, and nothing to do with the design of the protocols as such. Both cases are vanishingly rare, and one was in unreleased software, so I'm less than convinced that they represent an argument that this negotiation does not work very well in practise.

Unfortunately, this does not leave many possible explanations for why many client implementors make this much more complicated for the user than it needs to be.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)jabber(_dot_)org