Re: Comments on draft-dusseault-caldav-15 and draft-newman-i18n-comparator-14

2006-09-27 10:59:17
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 11:07:32AM -0700, Lisa Dusseault wrote:

On Sep 23, 2006, at 2:20 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

But as a matter of fact, draft-newman-i18n-comparator-14 doesn't
define any collations that would actually solve the Unicode NF
issue, so it's not really clear how this helps CalDAV (except that
it now uses a framework in which the solution may become available
in the future).

Maybe the set of initial registrations in <http://tools.ietf.org/
html/draft-newman-i18n-comparator-14#section-9> needs to be extended?

Yes, I agree. That's one of the next steps and why a registry was
created (so we could do it outside the base comparator draft).

Last week Ted & I were discussing whether one could define a Very
Liberal Comparator (VLC) for general use.  It would be handy to have
one which matched e with E, é, è É... and matched o with O, ø, ô, and
so on.  That would help in calendar searching use cases, e.g. a user
who can't type in accents (or doesn't know how) wants to find the
invitation from André by searching for "andre".  It would probably be
useful in many other cross-language or unknown-language situations too.

Such a comparator would be most useful for exact and substring
matches; I don't know offhand how it would best do ordering so it
might not be as useful for ordering.

I believe Arnt intends to continue working on this general problem,
for which I'm very grateful, and other contributions would be most
welcome.

Lisa

        http://author.handalak.com/archives/042003/000078

--bill