Re: As Promised, an attempt at 2026bis

2006-09-28 08:55:42
Keith,

I could also imagine VERY incremental changes that are agreed to be
non-controversial.

this is often how the second-system effect starts, and it nearly
always works out badly.

I think the intersection of people and potentially agreeable changes is
incredibly small.  So do you apparently, as you discuss below.

My suggestion is that we first start by getting agreement on the
changes in the draft that are there, including two-step process Scott
& I have proposed, which I believe is a compromise between the
reality of a one step process and some peoples' desires.

well, I have my own idea about how to revise the standards process,
which, while not totally dissimilar to yours, is different enough that
you and I are not likely to be able to agree on a compromise without a
fair amount of discussion.  and a few dozen other people probably have
similar ideas.  so no, I don't think that getting agreement on your
proposal is a good first step.

Propose your own.  I'm not stopping you.  And I think you're being
presumptuous about whether or not I'd like it or that we couldn't come
to some agreement.

Eliot