Re: As Promised, an attempt at 2026bis

2006-09-28 07:55:23
Hi Keith,

If that's indeed the case, the first order of business needs to be to
document
current practice. I see no chance of making forward progress on
actual changes
without first having a consensus as to what our current state is.

I was just about to reply to John's message saying exactly the same
thing.  My belief is that any attempt to revise 2026 is likely to
introduce a kind of second-system effect - there is so much pent-up
demand for changes to our process that everyone has his own idea about
how to do it.  The only way we have any hope of getting real consensus
on a path forward is to first get a shared understanding of where we
are now.

As I replied to Ned privately, our intent is to go in that direction in
general.  I believe in Brian Kantor's mantra: document existing
practices.  Furthermore, an Internet-Draft without rough consensus of
the community is just two opinions.  To that end, I'm putting aside my
own opinion on a bunch of issues in favor of trying to find that
consensus.  I think we should make additional changes to this document
that reflect reality.  Several of John's suggestions meet that criteria.

I could also imagine VERY incremental changes that are agreed to be
non-controversial.  My suggestion is that we first start by getting
agreement on the changes in the draft that are there, including two-step
process Scott & I have proposed, which I believe is a compromise between
the reality of a one step process and some peoples' desires.  I then
propose that we address other issues that have been raised
individually.  If there is consensus for a change we make it.  If not,
we don't.  I want to be that robotic in the hopes that what we end up
with will be an improvement over what we have today but with the frank
understanding that each of us would have probably wanted something just
a bit more (but in differing ways).

I also think we should also be VERY mindful of Sam Hartman's concerns
about unintended changes.

Eliot