Re: Complaints and complainers (Re: [Nea] WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea))

2006-10-11 07:50:54
Just FTR (and changing the subject, since this is not about NEA at all):

I agree with the principle that the sergeants-at-arms are obliged to
make up their own minds about whether or not a posting is inappropriate,
and that they are responsible for their own decisions.

Complaints are a means of calling their attention to a situation,
nothing more.
An IETF participant should not have to suffer rants and threats from a
suspended person in his private email inbox just because he commented to
a sergeant-at-arms that he found the person's postings offensive.

I think the sergeants-at-arms have made the right call.

I agree with everything Harald says here. Analogies to court situations and the
notion of "facing your accuser" are IMO entirely inappropriate. A better
analogy is to the many mechansisms that exist in various other contexts for
providing tips, suggestions, recommendations and compliants. In many of these
cases anonymity is not only allowed, it is required.

I don't think this is a case where anonymity is absolutely required, but it is definitely beneficial.

                                Ned