Re: [Ieprep] Re: WG Review: Recharter of Internet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

2006-11-14 09:39:18

Robert G. Cole wrote:
I whole-heartedly agree. I believe the DoD must extend its notions of Precedence and Preemption to all applications, voice, video, web, ftp, mail, etc.

This illustrates some of my concerns about this requirements work being
done outside the IETF.

1. The DoD doesn't determine IETF requirements. It's one stakeholder
in one country; the IETF looks at things globally.

2. The notion that solutions such as precedence and preemption
are (a) requirements and (b) applicable to all applications just
doesn't compute for me. We'd actually need to understand at a more
basic level what the functional requirements are, in terms that are
meaningful for a datagram network. I don't believe that will
happen in ATIS or ITU-T.

Brian (personal opinion)