Re: [Ieprep] Re: WG Review: Recharter ofInternet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

2006-11-09 19:10:10
On Nov 6, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Dolly, Martin C, NPE wrote:
Side note: my focus is on the ETS service. All of the major players (vendors, service providers, contractors, and most importantly CUSTOMER), attend and participate in the ATIS work.

yes, and for stuff that is limited to telephony services and will remain entirely within the borders of the United States, ATIS is a reasonable place to do it.

I observe that in the meeting you, Janet, and I (among many others) attended a few weeks ago, as Janet reported earlier in this thread, there were two representatives from non-US agencies. As a vendor, I have to sell product to both their agencies and to Janet's, and by extension to both their service providers and Janet's, which includes you. I'm looking for - and I think the non-US agencies are looking for - a service definition and feature definition that will be available in routers and switches regardless of vendor and will be defined in a trans-national manner.

ITU might define the service; in fact they have already done so, in giving us the famous fourteen glittering generalities, which Ken Carlberg and Ran Atkinson have gone to great lengths to turn into actionable objectives. I really think we need IETF expertise to help vendors like me have the right features for operators like you to implement it. We all have to be involved, and the IETF is an open forum in which that can happen.

What we don't need are glittering generalities.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3523.txt
3523 Internet Emergency Preparedness (IEPREP) Telephony Topology
Terminology. J. Polk. April 2003. (Format: TXT=10190 bytes) (Status:
     INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3689.txt
3689 General Requirements for Emergency Telecommunication Service
     (ETS). K. Carlberg, R. Atkinson. February 2004. (Format: TXT=21680
     bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3690.txt
3690 IP Telephony Requirements for Emergency Telecommunication Service
     (ETS). K. Carlberg, R. Atkinson. February 2004. (Format: TXT=13919
     bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4190.txt
4190 Framework for Supporting Emergency Telecommunications Service
     (ETS) in IP Telephony. K. Carlberg, I. Brown, C. Beard. November
     2005. (Format: TXT=69447 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4375.txt
4375 Emergency Telecommunications Services (ETS) Requirements for a
     Single Administrative Domain. K. Carlberg. January 2006. (Format:
     TXT=17037 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4542.txt
4542 Implementing an Emergency Telecommunications Service (ETS) for
Real-Time Services in the Internet Protocol Suite. F. Baker, J. Polk.
     May 2006. (Format: TXT=99770 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)