Re: [Ieprep] Re: WG Review: Recharter ofInternet Emergency Preparedness (ieprep)

2006-11-12 16:44:19
"Scott" == Scott W Brim <swb(_at_)employees(_dot_)org> writes:

    Scott> However, it is important that the IETF not *just* do
    Scott> protocols.  The IETF needs to consider how proposed
    Scott> "architectures" fit in with all the other requirements on
    Scott> the Internet.  The IETF doesn't do protocol engineering, it
    Scott> does Internet engineering.  It is fine for other
    Scott> organizations (not necessarily SDOs) to do service
    Scott> requirements and scenarios.  They can *propose*
    Scott> architectures.  If the IETF can support those architectures
    Scott> in ways that are consistent with overall Internet design,
    Scott> then fine.  Otherwise the IETF should not be restricted to
    Scott> just protocol extension/definition.  The IETF has to think
    Scott> of a bigger picture.
    >>

    >> Completely agree.  I'd rather see architectures and systems
    >> proposed elsewhere, reviewed by the ietf, and then us develop
    >> the protocols.  There may be some cases where we do
    >> architecture work; I don't think this is one of them.

    Scott> Please help me figure out the essential differences between
    Scott> "architecture" that should be done in the IETF and
    Scott> "architecture" that can be done elsewhere.

Scott, we discussed this in person.  I think that when I say
architecture that can be done elsewhere, I'm thinking of things you
would call service descriptions and service requirements.

Some people might also consider a document that took a technical
architecture, described deployment and operational considerations for
it, and described a framework for business agreements to deal with
intra-domain aspects of the technology an architecture.

--Sam