Re: Something better than DNS?

2006-11-28 14:28:48
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 08:31:04AM -0500,
 Emin Gun Sirer <egs(_at_)systems(_dot_)cs(_dot_)cornell(_dot_)edu> wrote
 a message of 64 lines which said:

Ok, here is a rough protocol sketch.

Very interesting. One more reason to ask it is transformed into a full
Internet-Draft. Do you think it fits well in Hallam-Baker, Phillip's
"logical registry" model?

For simplicity, I'll gloss over non-critical details, e.g. timeout
handling.

It still leaves many questions in my mind:

* how does it scale? It is reasonable to assume hundreds or even
thousands of managers for ".com". If each domain registration requires
thousands of signatures, which have to be done in turn, and
synchronously, it is a problem (mny distributed protocols assume only
a handful of nodes because they are very talkative).

* DNS registration is not binding a name to an IP! (See Edward Lewis'
good description). It is binding a name to an entity which is often
fuzzily defined (see whois' output). How do you address this?