Re: Something better than DNS?

2006-11-28 17:40:43
Stephane & Phillip,

I'm thinking of writing a short report that summarizes the invaluable
discussion here and beefing up the system sketch. I think we now agree
that it is possible to have multiple operators manage names in a single,
shared namespace without recourse to a centralized super-registry.

Do you think it fits well in Hallam-Baker, Phillip's "logical registry"
model?

Yes, the registrars together implement a logical registry without any
centralized component.

* how does it scale?

The protocol I sketched was for just two parties; it can be generalized,
but let's take that discussion offline. It's certainly possible to do
it, but something that'll work fast and with participants that will
trigger timeouts might require quorums, a slightly different approach.

* DNS registration is not binding a name to an IP! (See Edward Lewis'
good description). It is binding a name to an entity which is often
fuzzily defined (see whois' output). How do you address this?

One can use a protocol like that to just serialize the events, i.e.
establish order, regardless of what the events that comprise a
registration are.

What you absolutely cannot get away from is a mechanism to ensure
joint action.

True. The question was whether the mechanism necessarily had a
centralized component.

the point of the exercies here is to meet the needs of the Internet
users, not solve cute academic puzzles for the sake of arbitrary
ideological goals.

For one, I am totally agnostic on this issue. It's possible and maybe
even practical to delegate a space to multiple operators without a
super-registry, and neither I nor the workings of CoDoNS care whether we
do that or not.

As an Internet user, I wonder about two things in the long term:
        - why is it so expensive to register a name?
        - what can we do to keep SiteFinderJr from happening?

In the short term, I think we have bigger issues to worry about (e.g.
current DNS's vulnerability to denial-of-service attacks).

Gun.