Re: Something better than DNS?

2006-11-29 14:25:40
On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 11:42:17AM -0500,
 Emin Gun Sirer <egs(_at_)systems(_dot_)cs(_dot_)cornell(_dot_)edu> wrote
 a message of 36 lines which said:

Right now, we'd like to have a domain delegated to a large number
(say 100+) of nameservers.

See Edward Lewis' respond (basically, global anycast + local anycast
and you have as many servers as you wish).

The registrars we have gone through impose a limit on the number of
nameservers they are willing to accept.

The limit typically comes from the registry (eight nameservers in
".fr").

(And no, not all nameservers need to be returned in response to
every query. A random sampling would be fine).

Since they are all part of the same RRset, it is not legal to return
only a part of them. A RRset must be returned completely (or the TC
bit set).

BTW, did you test if typical resolvers (say, BIND) can handle as many
nameservers? I doubt it, they probably have a fixed array to store the
nameservers they try.