Re: Something better than DNS?

2006-11-30 14:44:26
My research group, as well as everyone who currently uses PlanetLab (and
presumably the future GENI platform, if it comes to pass) faces a
different deployment scenario than what the operational folks are used
to. Setting up anycast might be possible, but is operationally very very
difficult for lots of (partly non-technical, partly technical) reasons.
Hence the genuine question on where the limit stemmed from.

A quick question: Right now, we'd like to have a domain delegated to a
large number (say 100+) of nameservers. The registrars we have gone

The terminology used here indicates a need for a deeper understanding of DNS.

My terminology is correct, and your message is a simple ad hominem. You
should point out the error if there is one, and demonstrate how it
translates to a lack of understanding. Earlier in the thread, I
addressed people who claim to understand distributed systems, who could
not properly define the term "Byzantine," and we did not stoop to this
level. Someone with a spine would offer an explanation or an apology,
but I'm not holding my breath on either count :-).

SB>I suspect that he is deliberately trolling, in order to prove a point
SB>(that DNS is too limited to handle domains who need a lot of
SB>reliability).

Stephane, I say enough controversial things as it is that you can
(perhaps?) argue over what I actually said, instead of making up random
and wildly inaccurate stuff. I don't believe "DNS" is too limited. The
wire format is very flexible.

Your parenthetical comment is contrary to one of the most important
principles in the DNS, coherency.  Especially high up in the
hierarchy.

Did you make this principle up or is it enunciated somewhere? There are
lots of places where it is violated.

Of course, the 13 name limit does not limit you to 13 name servers.
With anycast, the number can be unbounded subject to the concerns
with routing.

I asked because global anycast is not always feasible, esp. when the
hosts have already assigned IPs, and it is not easy to assign new IP
addresses to them.

And if you add in load balancers you can have even
more servers.

This spreads the load within a point of presence, but won't improve
service by expanding the bottleneck prior to the balancer.

Gun.