Re: "Discuss" criteria

2006-12-30 15:40:43

On Dec 29, 2006, at 5:05 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

The problem here is that the positions that are most likely to be held hostage by DISCUSS are cases like this one where there is a clear majority in favor of change but the minority see absolutely no reason to compromise because they consider that they hold an effective veto, the majority can go hang.

That has in fact happened on occasion, but not frequently. When I was IETF Chair, we created a procedure for turning the rare "go hang" case around; in my time, it was never exercised, and I am told that it has happened once since.

Whether I agree with them or not, I do tend to think that "discuss" ballots are intended to improve a specification, not stop it.