Re: Last Call: draft-legg-xed-asd (Abstract Syntax Notation X (ASN.X)) to Proposed Standard

2007-01-13 20:09:18
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:38:16 +0100
Simon Josefsson <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org> wrote:

"Joel M. Halpern" <joel(_at_)stevecrocker(_dot_)com> writes:

Simon, you are mixing several issues in your note, including
strictly legal issues and personal preferences.

I bring up only one issue here: Can implementers extract and use the
ASN.1 module for their implementations legally?

Firstly, it is clear that you (and every other implementor using
this document) needs the ability to extract and use the ASN.1
include in the document.  That is already provided for in BCP 78.
The text he included is exactly the text that BCP 78 tells him to
include to do that.  So there is no problem there.

I explained in my note that BCP 78 does _not_ provide for that.  If
you disagree with that, I think you need to show where BCP 78 gives
third parties the right to extract and use the ASN.1 module.

And as you very well know, the IPR working group is fixing the
problem.  I think a pointer to the archives there would have sufficed
(or at least a mention of the discussion and status).