IETF Trust FAQ

2007-01-15 08:52:01
Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> writes:

I would refer you to the IETF Trust FAQ on RFC copyright,
http://trustee.ietf.org/24.html, point 6 and point 9.

Interesting.  Point 6 seem incorrect to me, as there is nothing in BCP
78 that permits computer code extracts from RFC for third parties.  I
believe the IPR WG has established that point.  Point 9 seem
irrelevant since the IETF Trust doesn't (by point 1) own the copyright
on code in RFCs.

I think the FAQ should be updated to reflect the perception of the
problem being solved by the IPR WG.  You may also want to update point
3 to mention RFC 4748.  Adding contact information to the page, and in
particular, whether it was written with advice from a lawyer familiar
with BCP 78 would be useful.

/Simon