Re: Last Call: draft-legg-xed-asd (Abstract Syntax Notation X(ASN.X)) to Proposed Standard

2007-01-14 04:14:19
"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com> writes:

Hi -

From: "Simon Josefsson" <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel(_at_)stevecrocker(_dot_)com>
Cc: <steven(_dot_)legg(_at_)eb2bcom(_dot_)com>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2007 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-legg-xed-asd (Abstract Syntax Notation
X(ASN.X)) to Proposed Standard
Firstly, it is clear that you (and every other implementor using this
document) needs the ability to extract and use the ASN.1 include in
the document.  That is already provided for in BCP 78.  The text he
included is exactly the text that BCP 78 tells him to include to do
that.  So there is no problem there.

I explained in my note that BCP 78 does _not_ provide for that.  If
you disagree with that, I think you need to show where BCP 78 gives
third parties the right to extract and use the ASN.1 module.

Section 5.2 of RFC 3978 addresses the issue, giving the necessary
incantation and using MIBs and PIBs as an example.  There's nothing
about an ASN.1 module in this regard that's any different from PIBs
and MIBs.

Hi!  The notices required by section 5.2 are not present in these
documents, so that section doesn't apply.

Btw, I don't think you meant to refer to section 5.2, since that is
normally not used for standards track documents:

   These notices may not be used with any standards-track document or
   with most working group documents, except as discussed in Section 7.3

/Simon