Re: Last Call: draft-legg-xed-asd (Abstract Syntax Notation X (ASN.X)) to Proposed Standard

2007-01-15 08:04:01
I would refer you to the IETF Trust FAQ on RFC copyright,
http://trustee.ietf.org/24.html, point 6 and point 9.

    Brian

On 2007-01-14 12:31, Simon Josefsson wrote:
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu> writes:

And as you very well know, the IPR working group is fixing the
problem.  I think a pointer to the archives there would have sufficed
(or at least a mention of the discussion and status).

The mailing list archives doesn't contain a clear description of the
problem.  In any case, the effort in the IPR WG seem to be a
multi-year effort, and it is not certain to me that the changes
ultimately made will fix the problem I brought up here or apply
retro-actively to these documents.  A reference to the mailing list
[1] for the problem statement might have been useful, but it does not
provide a solution for these documents.

If these documents should be possible to implement by third parties
before the IPR WG is finished with its goals, additional text is
necessary in these documents.  Adding such text is what I propose.

As Joel suggested, another choice of wordings that only gives
additional rights to the parts that needs to be extracted would be
(paraphrasing RFC 3492):

   Regarding this section, the author makes no guarantees and is not
   responsible for any damage resulting from its use.  The author
   grants irrevocable permission to anyone to use, modify, and
   distribute it in any way that does not diminish the rights of
   anyone else to use, modify, and distribute it, provided that
   redistributed derivative works do not contain misleading author or
   version information.  Derivative works need not be licensed under
   similar terms.

To avoid confusion, I want to stress that other alternatives are
conceivable.  (However, placing the code under a MIT/BSD license,
which would appear to be a simple solution, is not an option (at least
not without approval by the IAB), since additional copyright notices
are not permitted by BCP 78).

/Simon

[1] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipr-wg/current/index.html