Re: Identifying mailing list for discussion (Re: Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes)

2007-01-16 10:48:43

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
The table of mappings constitutes an on-going administrative challenge. Also as noted, not all I-Ds are tied to working groups.

But every draft should be able to fit into one of the IETF areas;
Setting up a mailing list for each personal draft, with unclear 'note well' rules and archiving status, seems counterproductive.

You have drawn two implications that I did not intend:

1. Choice of area often is not straightforward and an author new to the IETF often does not know what with which to claim "affiliation". This reduces to: there is currently no requirement for an I-D to declare affiliation and you appear expect to change that.

2. There is a difference between listing a mailing list venue, versus creating a new venue for each draft. I am suggesting the former, not the latter. I-Ds often can specify an existing list. I should also comment that pre-wg venues typically do not have clear rules and archiving status. While it is worth exploring development of guidance for proto-wg lists, I hope that is treated as something entirely different from whether an I-D states where discussion about it should occur.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking