Re: In support of symbolic references

2007-04-05 14:04:40
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:19:11 +0200
Simon Josefsson <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org> wrote:

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> writes:

Hi.  I'm sitting here reviewing changes to a document to see if I
can last call it.

As part of a response to AD review comments, one of the references
were changed.  This document uses numeric references.  Starting at
reference 16, everything was renumbered.  That makes the diff a
pain.

For this and many other reasons, I strongly encourage people to
avoid numeric references in their documents.

That makes sense, but I believe the default for the xml2rfc tool is to
produce numeric references.  Does xml2rfc support symbolic references?
If the defaults in xml2rfc is changed to symbolic references, I think
we'd see that a lot of documents would adopt the new approach.

Use the line

        <?rfc symrefs="yes" ?>

to get symbolic references.