RE: In support of symbolic references

2007-04-05 20:21:40
I just use nroff and have no trouble creating whatever succinct symbolic
references I want.

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: John C Klensin [mailto:john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 9:26 PM
To: Sam Hartman; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: In support of symbolic references

Second, because of the desire to create a universal naming
scheme in the bibliographical libraries, xml2rfc ends up with
symbolic references that look like
[I-D.rfc-editor-rfc2223bis] (one of the less unattractive ones)
or, potentially,
[I-D.draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434-bis].  Those
things cause formatting problems, violate almost every known
style manual about forms for symbolic references, and so on.  If
our tools permitted us to use the forms that are recommended in
the rest of the world, such as "[Nart07a]" for the above, it
would be different.  But they don't permit doing so conveniently.

       john