Re: Domain Centric Administration, RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-natpt-to-historic-00.txt

2007-07-02 18:50:48

As the administrator of several small networks, it is quite simple. By
re-writing the address, the NAT is a defacto default deny. I have a lot
more trust in the simplicity of a basic NAT in a consumer firewall then I
do in any firewall which has to examine each packet for conformance to
complex policy rules.

        The re-writing of the address has nothing to do with the
        security benefit of the box.  Looking the incoming packet
        up in a state table and forwarding (with re-write) the
        packet if a match is found otherwise dropping / icmping it
        is what provides the security.

        Otherwise I could just loose source route around the NAT box.

        It is much better to have a box that is designed to provide
        security than it is to have a box that provides security
        as a side effect.  I'm sure you will find that there are
        NAT boxes that you can use the loose source route trick to
        bypass any perceived security benefits.  NAT boxes have
        different design goals to firewalls.  They are designed to
        translate addreses.  LSR is also designed to translate
        addreses.  LSR and NAT are complementry technologies.  One
        is end initiated the other is done in the middle of the
        network.

But, this misses the point I see in Phillips discussion... I read his
ultimate proposal as:
  a. Stop bashing NAT, it provides value in the current network and
     has prevented a total meltdown which would have happened if every
     early OS were directly attached to the internet

        People arn't bashing NAT.  They are saying that NAT is not
        a appropriate for solution in a IPv6 world.  It adds a lot
        more complexity than just a stateful firewall.

  b. REPLACE NAT with a default deny infrastructure ... more than
     just a single FW choke point.