Re: Domain Centric Administration, RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-natpt-to-historic-00.txt

2007-07-02 20:19:14
Mark,

On Jul 2, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
        People arn't bashing NAT.

Oh, please.  Sure they are.

        They are saying that NAT is not
        a appropriate for solution in a IPv6 world. It adds a lot
        more complexity than just a stateful firewall.

A stateful firewall doesn't also provides provider independence and an ability to have a form of multi-homing without playing BGP games or even telling your ISPs.

I am also a bit confused how a "dual stack" transition strategy to IPv6 is going to work when the IPv4 address free pool is exhausted in a few years without some form of NAT/ALG, but maybe that's just me.

Rgds,
-drc