Re: Application knowledge of transport characteristics (was: Re: Domain Centric Administration)

2007-07-08 22:54:10
On 2007-7-5, at 19:07, ext Tom.Petch wrote:
If we had a range of transports (perhaps like OSI offered), we could choose the one most suited. We don't, we only have two, so it may become a choice of one with a hack. But then that limited choice may be the reason why the Internet
Protocol Suite has become the suite of choice for most:-)

We have four standards-track transport protocols (UDP, TCP, DCCP and SCTP), and, FWIW, SCTP has a concept of record boundaries.

Designers of applications and higher-layer protocols still have a tendency to ignore SCTP and DCCP and the particular features they can offer to applications. This can make applications more complex, because they need to re-invent mechanisms that a more appropriate transport protocol would have provided.

Lars