Re: IPv4

2007-08-02 18:25:00

On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

NAT isn't the only answer to the question "I can't get IPv4 addresses, what do I do?" Using IPv6 and a proxy to reach the IPv4 world is much, much cleaner. And it also works from v4 to v6. We really should start advocating this as the preferred transition mechanism.

It seems you both are in agreement. Wouldn't a proxy for reaching IPv4 represent Philip's State B?

A) Has at least one full IPv4 address plus an IPv6 /64.
B) Has a share in a NAT-ed IPv4 addesss plus an IPv6 /64.
C) Has at least one full IPv4 address
D) Has a share in a NAT-ed IPv4 address

Such a topology must offer a means to declare the transitions between IPv6 and IPv4. Perhaps the HIP WG may offer a popular method to navigate within the growing complexity. Could SSH, LDAP, and a dynamic DNS server within a commodity residential access point represent a solution as well? This might introduce an era where rapid routing changes becomes the norm, and where most network connection are expected to use TLS or SSH tunneling. These highly extensible protocols are within the capability of today's microprocessors in commodity products.

-Doug