Re: Required doc sections (Re: [saag] Next step on web phishing draft(draft-hartman-webauth-phishing-05.txt))

2007-09-14 08:14:03
Thomas Narten wrote:
Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter(_at_)stpeter(_dot_)im> writes:

Thomas Narten wrote:
Agreed. In my experience, the IANA does not want the I-D to contain a
section entitled "IANA Considerations" if there are no actions required
of the IANA.
Your experience does not match what IANA has stated numerous
times. Please see section 6.1 of
draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-07.txt, which contains
text that IANA has a large part in crafting.

By "my experience" I mean for example RFC 3922; during Auth48 or
thereabouts I was told that the IANA didn't want the document to include
an "IANA Considerations" section since there were no actions required of
the IANA. But perhaps that was a miscommunication.

To clarify, what happens during AUTH48 is mostly between you and the
RFC Editor. It's probably the RFC Editor that is calling for removal
of the empty IANA Considerations section. Going back the the very
first sentence quoted above, the specific question of what IANA wants
to see in an _ID_ is that they prefer a clear indication of what it is
they are supposed to do. An explicit "no IANA actions" statement in
the ID is preferred to "no mention of IANA at all", as the latter
increases the work for IANA to figure out what, if any, action it
has. Note that IANA typicall reviews documents during the Last Call
(or during the IESG Evaluation process), which happens prior to final
RFC editing.

Thanks for the clarification. That seems like the right approach to me.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/