Re: ideas getting shot down (was: mini-cores)

2007-09-18 20:59:16
... If we fail to provide good ways, consenting adults might (and
usually do) come up with worse ways.

is that how you characterize NAT, firewalls, and application layer gateways?

utk-mail11 may have seemed to you like a way to extend the internet, but
to the greybeards of the time who had crapped upon bitnet and uucp, decnet
mail11 (for example, DECWRL.ENET.DEC.COM) was an abuse of the MX RR, not a
"good way" to use the technology.  firewalls and NAT, by making it harder
to carry real packets from one endpoint to another, were seen as heresy.
do you think that these are "worse ways" that wouldn't've come about had
the IETF provided "good ways"?  if so can i hear an example of a better way
that wouldn't be seen as a total departure from "the internet way of doing
things", just to help me frame your position?

It's not that consenting adults shouldn't be able to solve their own
problems, it's that some kinds of solutions can and do cause harm for the
Internet, particularly when they're widely deployed.

i can see how a *.COM wildcard, or any TLD wildcard, fits that description.

i can't see how DNSSEC DLV, or ULA-C, fits that description.

at the moment, they are all condemned using the same buzzwords.  i'm asking
that the ones without objectively verifiable immediate harm not be crapped on.

p.s. And FWIW, in the message where I said 'It's hard for me to buy the idea
of there not being a "core" portion of the Internet from which all public
addresses are reachable' what I meant was that I have a hard time imagining
the conditions which would make it happen, not that I would try to stop it
from happening.  I'd be hard pressed to support it given my current
understanding of it (not that either my support or opposition is worth very
much).  But I'd be curious to explore the idea further and see where it
might lead.

that's a useful clarification.  but it changes nothing.  if other people, who
are not you, and who are consenting adults, want to interoperate using
prefixes under the ULA /7 prefixes but having, unlike RFC 4193 ULA prefixes,
globally visible whois and in-addr support, then it's not your place to tell
them they shouldn't want that or shouldn't have that.