Re: ideas getting shot down

2007-09-20 22:49:59

FWIW, I think NAT would have happened, IETF or no.  There were people
who needed a solution, and had the money to pay for it, and there were
people who could provide the solution, and were willing to do the work.

NAT would certainly have existed.  Whether it would have been widely
adopted in the form that it did, had IETF acted differently is another
question.  Certainly a quicker development of IPng (and perhaps,
development of IPng along somewhat different lines than IPv6) might have
helped, but it's hard to see how that could have happened.   The growth
rate of IPv4 both prompted the need for IPng and hindered its
standardization and deployment.  Second-system effect played a role also.
It raises the question of whether there are circumstances where it's
reasonable to bend the end-to-end principle, such as when there is a
large "user" community that wants inexpensive Internet access (but is
willing to live without IP access).

One problem with the "end to end principle" is that a lot of people cite
it as if it were a religious tenet (whether they're for or against it).
People need to look past the "principle" and look at the reasoning that
led to the "principle", along with the actual effects of the violation
of that principle being considered.  That reveals why the principle
makes sense as a general rule and also whether violating it in some
specific way is a horrible idea or only a dubious one.
the underlying problem was that people in the field didn't want universality
among endpoints, either for security or policy reasons, and people in that
ietf wanted universality among endpoints -- a single addressing system and
a single connectivity realm.  that ietf said, you don't really want that,
you
should use the internet as it was intended, and solve the problems you're
having in some way that preserves universality of endpoints.  the field
said,
you are completely out of your minds, we're going to ignore ietf now.  then
later on, ietf said, if you're going to do it, then we ought to help you
with
some standards support.

That's not quite how I remember it from my POV.  Some people were very
concerned about ambiguous addressing.  I don't think universal
connectivity was as big a concern - it's not like IETF people expected
everyone to run open networks.   But mostly there was a lot of unease
and uncertainty about NATs.  Very little analysis was done.  And I don't
think that NAPTs were initially seen as the normal case.

I remember such arguments.  I also remember an argument that NATs were
being marketed as security devices, when in fact they did not provide
the actual level of security implied.  RFC 3724 bears this out.

NAPTs were (misleadingly) marketed as security devices to consumers.
But we were concerned about NATs in general, and at the time did not
make the generalization that all or most NATs were NAPTs.
which is why i'm proposing a standard of "demonstrable immediate harm"
rather
than the current system of "that's not how you should do it" or "that's not
how i would do it".

That's the wrong standard, it sets the bar way too low.  IETF shouldn't
endorse anything unless it has justification to believe it is good; IETF
should not discourage anything unless it has justification to believe it
is bad.   And that justification should come from engineering analysis
(or measurement, if it's feasible).  Sadly, a lot of people in IETF do
not have engineering backgrounds and don't understand how to do such
analysis.  This is something we need to change in our culture.

Based on some recent experiences, this type of analysis is not as
valued in the industry as it used to be.  It's much more valued to be
a crack programmer; someone who can rapidly deploy something that can
be quickly brought to market.
IETF cannot do its job properly if it is a slave to "the industry" and
its current idea of market conditions.  The Internet is not a market
fad.  It's a lot more like a global public works project that will have
effects lasting for decades (at least) which will affect everyone on the
planet.  It is absolutely necessary to pay careful attention to the long
term effects of its design decisions, and this cannot be done by people
who feel pressure to put something on the market in six months or a year.

At the same time, IETF needs to understand that optimizing for
deployability first and scalability second often succeeds whereas the
reverse often fails.  We need to understand how to design protocols that
can be deployed quickly and yet be upgraded gracefully as the real
requirements for long-term widespread use of the protocols  become
apparent.

Keith