Re: ideas getting shot down

2007-09-21 10:26:11

Eliot Lear wrote:
there was something of a view that the whole point of MXes was for the MX relay to bridge between online and offline devices. It was well understood at the time that MANY more systems were in fact on the networks that you mentioned than were on the ARPANET. And I would even argue that there MXes solved a major problem, which was that there was that sites that sat on both UUCP and the Internet often times Got It Wrong with regard to the precedence of "!". The abstraction that MX provided made relaying behavior much more explicit. I think this was understood at the time.

+1

UUCP, Bitnet, CSNet, oh and let's not forget Arpanet-to-Internet transition (FTP to SMTP mail)...

Administrative boundaries are not just bookkeeping constructs. They can have fundamentla technical impact. Take, for example, exterior routing technology versus interior.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking