RE: ULA-C (Was: Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it)

2007-09-21 10:26:11
Seems to me that what you are saying amounts to the statement that PI space
cannot exist by definition. If there is address space that is routable on an
Internet-wide basis it is by definition routable Internet space and no PI space.

If someone needs such space they need to obtain an IP address space allocation
and persuade their ISPs to route it. The question of whether this is possible
is a policy issue, not a technical issue. Whatever the policy status (people
disagree as to what the situation is) it is clearly not going to be solved by a
technical hack that does not address the underlying political constraints.

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Baker [mailto:fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 4:35 AM
To: IETF-Discussion
Subject: Re: ULA-C (Was: Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN
continues to kill it)

owners of those services will simply go to ISPs and say
"route this,
or I'll find someone else who will".

I'm actually not as convinced of this. Yes, they can get
routing from their ISP, and the ISP will be happy to sell it
to them. Can they get it from their ISP's upstream, and from
that ISP's downstreams? To make it into PI space in the usual
sense of the word, I think they wind up writing a contract
with every ISP in the world that they care about.

I think ULAs will exceed the bounds of a single
administration, but they will do so on the basis of bilateral
contract, not general routing.