Re: ULA-C (Was: Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it)

2007-09-20 05:51:58

And owners of those services
will simply go to ISPs and say "route this, or I'll find someone else
who will". And the sales and marketing departments of many ISPs will
fall over each other to be the first to say "why certainly we'd love
your business".

I used to work at a large ISP with exactly these kinds of sales
people. They have a hard time taking "no" for an answer from the
engineers, but when the engineers say "sure we can do it but it isn't
going to work" and then, lo and behold, it doesn't work, they tend to
catch on.

I.e., you can pay YOUR ISP to route your ULAs, but that doesn't mean
the next ISP is going to accept those advertisements.
my experience is that users do get smarter over time.  it just takes a
long time.   the problem is that they're being conditioned to accept
that something will work by early behavior of ISPs, when it won't work
in the long term.

here's the deal: if you get a PA block, it will fail to work if you
change ISPs or if the ISP is forced to renumber.  if you get a PI block
or ULA block, it will fail to work when the ISPs routing complexity gets
too great and you can't afford to pay them to route your prefix
anymore.  so absent some kind of indirection between what hosts see and
what ISPs route on, neither arrangement is permanent and neither avoids
the need to renumber.

Obviously unbelievable amounts of money will make a difference here,
but how does it make sense to go visit all the largest ISPs handing
out money if you can get a PI or PA block much cheaper and easier?
when push comes to shove, I'm not convinced that it will be cheaper to
get ISPs to route PI blocks than to route ULA blocks.  unless they're
somehow aggregatable.

Keith