RE: ULA-C (Was: Re: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it)

2007-09-20 06:58:42

Does "Balkanization of the Internet" mean anything to you?

Yes.
NAT, BGP route filtering, bogon lists, firewalls, Community
of Interest extranets such as SITA, Automotive Network Exchange,
RadianzNet. And let's not forget the IP VPN services that companies
like Verizon sell as a flagship product.

It is probable that there are more hosts today in the "Balkanized"
portions of the Internet than on the public portions.

--Michael Dillon

P.S.
Not to mention sites that are more than 30 hops away from each
other. I've seen traceroutes that go up to 27 hops so I imagine
that the hopcount diameter is once again becoming an issue
as it was prior to 1995.