Re: Representation of end-users at the IETF (Was: mini-cores (was Re: ULA-C)

2007-09-20 01:39:44
Interesting discussion.

I am envolved in two groups develloping around OpenWRT.

One group (some 2000 members) is trying to TORify a < dollar 150 router
the other group (some 30 members) is trying to IPv6 that very same
software. I dont know how big the OpenWRT devellopers group is.

They are end-users, all of them.

They use a large range of hardware that mostly has its own unuseable
software.

e.g. dtag.de // t-online.de

they use a branded AVM router with outdated software and a backdoor
to remotely manage the box. I dont know if they really manage - but
I can see they have disabled port 8085 just in case.

AVM is as famous for routers in germany as Mircrosoft is for PCs.
I dont mean the pubo-coccygeus muscle :)

AVM software seems to be better but the brands see no maintainance.

Our gouvernement is very hot on talking about poisoning every router
and every PC to listen into our VPNs and local harddisks. So nobody
who has got a brain wants to rely on the original software.

I guess it is a good idea to get those end-users envolved.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier