I18n of email addresses (Was: Representation of end-users at the IETF (Was: mini-cores (was Re: ULA-C)

2007-09-20 13:25:11
On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 04:13:01PM +0100,
 michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com
<michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 49 lines which said:

In fact, it may be necessary to attach a language tag (defined in
RFC 4646 and 4647) to these addresses in order to make this fully
possible.

That would be a very bad idea. Email deals with scripts, not with
languages. What language should be attached to my name? (I'm french
but my name is german.) And to coca-cola.com?

I'm sure that many people are working on this problem,

Sure, specially in the Far East, demos of I18N software for email are
common but all use non-standard tricks, they do not interoperate and
they do not fallback gracefully when encountering an old email
gateway.