RE: A priori IPR choices

2007-10-24 12:34:30
I would accept GPL 2.0, but not GPL without any qualifier such that the IETF
was required to comply with whatever scheme RMS has thought up this week to
reinsert himself at the center of attention.

________________________________

From: Tony Finch on behalf of Tony Finch
Sent: Wed 24/10/2007 3:04 PM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: A priori IPR choices

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

GPL would not be a criterion I would consider reasonable. And in
particular I would not accept the idea that the IETF or any other body
be committed to whatever notions insert themselves into RMS in the
future.

There are plenty of much less rabid open source licences which have
similar approaches to patents as the GPL: see the Apache licence version
2 or the Mozilla Public Licence version 1.1, both of which include
non-bureaucratic patent licensing and anti-litigation clauses.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
LUNDY FASTNET IRISH SEA: EAST OR SOUTHEAST 3 OR 4. SLIGHT OR MODERATE. FAIR.