RE: A priori IPR choices

2007-10-26 11:38:15
It is not a major change in principle. But it does have some practical changes.

When we chartered KEYPROV I was told that the IPR regime should not be in the
charter, this was not a concern to me there because all the proposals were OK
IPR wise. But I do want to have the option of the forcing function in the
charter as explained. This is standard in OASIS and in W3C there is only one
regime that the WGs can chose.

I do not expect there to be very many charter changes of that type if any. And
if it was going to happen I would expect that it would have already soaked up a
large amount of IESG time.

The point about making the statement in the charter is that if people are going
to commit time and resources they have a right to understand upfront what the
IPR is going to be and for this to only change if there are exceptional
circumstances. When we were doing S/MIME and SSL we all knew about the RSA
patent going in. There were no suprises.

A WG has to recharter to add stuff to the charter, changing the IPR regime is a
much more serious change in my view.

In MARID it was obvious from the start that there was no prospect of an
encumbered technology being adopted. Everyone recognized the fact. The WG came
off the rails because there was not agreement on what the criteria for being
unencumbered were.

Another change I am looking for is for the default assumption going forward to
be that the IETF will manage all the mailing lists for WGs and BOFs and that
these will be automatically archived and contain prominent NOTE WELL
notification in their subscription process.

A final change I would like to see is less scope for thrashing on this topic on