Re: A priori IPR choices

2007-10-25 14:37:22
On 2007-10-26 06:09, Norbert Bollow wrote:
Theodore Tso <tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:

I don't disagree with anything that you wrote, but the point here
is that if there's a patent with GPL-incompatible licensing, you
don't have permission to link that BSD-licensed code into a
GPL-licensed program and distribute the result.
And I would argue that the above issue is not a matter of concern to
the IETF.  Having a reference implementation to encourage adoption of
the spec, that is of IETF's concern.  The issue of GPL requirements
is, I would argue, Not Our Problem.

Is it really your position that that is in no case a concern that IETF
should consider???

For an extreme example, consider hypothetically the case that an
essential part of the IPv6 protocol stack had such a patent issue.

To be blunter than Ted, this is a problem that the GPL community
has to solve, not the IETF. I don't mean the IETF shouldn't
consider it as one factor among many when evaluating a technology
choice, but the underlying issue is between the GPL and the patent
regime. Our test has always been "has interoperability been
demonstrated in the real world?" and that remains a pretty strong
test.

    Brian