Re: Experimental makes sense for tls-authz

2007-10-29 08:26:44

As  a personal  political view,  I happen  to be  opposed to  the  notion of
software patents.   But I still think  that the document  in question should
be published as Experimental:

- It's quite plain  that this political view has never  been adopted by IETF
  consensus.  (I also think it plain  that it has no chance of being adopted
  by IETF consensus.)

- I don't think the IETF considers "this document offends my political point
  of view" to be a legitimate  reason for opposing the document.  The degree
  of passion and/or repetition with which the political view is expressed is
  irrelevant.   (The suppression  of  a document  for  political reasons  is
  frequently called "censorship", even if other avenues of publication still
  exist.)

- It's  really within  the  province of  each  WG to  determine whether  its
  standards are  implementable by whoever  needs to implement them  in order
  for  the standard  to be  successful.  This  may or  may not  include open
  source implementations.

- If a particular proposal is technically sound, but not adopted because the
  WG thinks that  its patent encumbrances are a  bar to implementation, then
  it  is perfectly valid  to publish  the proposal  as a  non-standard track
  RFC.  The only real criterion is that the technical content be interesting
  or otherwise worth preserving.

With regard  to the  coordinated letter writing  attack being waged  on this
list, well, we're all familiar with  the situation in which folks try to get
their way  by getting  lots of non-participants  to send  scripted messages.
Often you can tell that the  message writers don't even know what the issues
are, but at  least most of the letter writing campaigns  pretend to be about
technical  issues;  the  current  campaign  doesn't  even  bother  with  the
pretense!