Re: Experimental makes sense for tls-authz

2007-10-26 17:45:23
Actually, yes, we do leave the IESG to make the judgement, subject
to appeal to the IAB.  I also think it's reasonably clear that the
IESG is allowed to recognize that "circumstances alter cases" rather
than to automatically follow precedents. But that's certainly a
matter of interpretation.

As I see it, the use of the Experimental designation for situations like
this one is quite appropriate.  Part of what we lost with the decline of
the Draft Standard was the ability to judge the effect of encumbrance
based on whether multiple interoperable implementations were precluded.
As a result, the IETF is now publishing wave after wave of
encumbered "Proposed Standards" whose prospects for widespread
implementation are uncertain at best.

It would be interesting to look at the data to see if the
average "Proposed Standard" would be any more likely to be implemented
than your average "Experimental" or even "Informational" RFC.

With respect to judging whether a particular set of emails constitutes a DoS
attack or an expression of the will of the IETF community -- RFC 2026
doesn't impose a "poll tax" on posters, requiring that they demonstrate
knowledge of IETF process to express their opinions.

That's quite correct. But when judging the rough consensus of the IETF,
I believe that the IESG is fully entitled to consider whether multiple