Re: Experimental makes sense for tls-authz

2007-10-27 07:28:11

On Oct 26, 2007, at 8:46 PM, Bernard Aboba wrote:

There are some current situations in the IETF, where IMHO it is quite
obvious that a consensus of implementers exists, as judged by
interoperable implementations.  Yet the IETF persists in taking an
alternate path with (seemingly) little prospect of success.  Often in
these cases the "bogo-standards" are being pushed by the WG chair (s) or
ADs with little or no real backing from the IETF community.

I agree, though I wouldn't place the blame only on WG chairs and ADs. Sometimes this is done by small but load "clicks" of people.

And it does seem that the IETF does not put enough emphasis on interoperable implementations... or as much as it should. This does not mean the existence of interoperable implementations trumps all other concerns, but in cases where they do exist the bar should be set higher.

-andy