Re: Experimental track

2007-11-01 14:37:40
On 2007-11-01 23:49, Frank Ellermann wrote:
Dan Riley wrote:
there is some evidence that people presumably well versed in
IETF process and RFC2026 terminology can be sloppy in its application--from
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg04120.html
[...]
| The IESG solicits final comments on whether the IETF community
| has consensus to publish draft-housley-tls-authz-extns as an
| _experimental standard_ given the IPR claimed.
(_emphasis_ added)

Brilliant.

Yes, but pretty clearly a cut-and-paste error. I agree
that we can't expect non-participants to correct that error.

While they were at it they also sanctioned a new "experimental track". IANA will be thrilled when I ask them to implement "experimental standard" RFC 2345 because it's on "experimental track" suited for the IDN TLD experiment.

There's nothing new about that phrase; a quick Google finds usage
going back to 1998 at least.

    Brian