Re: Last Call: draft-arkko-rfc2780-proto-update (IANA Allocation Guidelines for the Protocol Field) to BCP

2007-11-06 10:21:31
Bernard:

The worst case latency comes from the expert review with non-disclosure agreements.

We really do believe that this will make the latency much more consistent.

Russ

At 10:02 AM 11/6/2007, Bernard Aboba wrote:
>I also think this is an appropriate, even if significant,
>change of policy. I really don't see why we would give away
>a precious resource such as a protocol number for secret
>usage.

I also agree that the change is appropriate.  However, I am also aware of
significant frustration being voiced with respect to the speed by which
the expert review process moved -- and this change could slow it
further.  It's worth keeping in mind that the IETF has no power to prevent
people from using unallocated protocol numbers.