Re: Last Call: draft-arkko-rfc2780-proto-update (IANA Allocation Guidelines for the Protocol Field) to BCP

2007-11-06 12:05:34

Keep in mind that the interview with Mr. McBride was back in April 2004.
The response times back then may not have been great, but IANA has never
charged an applicant for their request for protocol parameters including
port numbers.

IANA response times have greatly improved over the last few years.  See:
http://www.iana.org/reporting-and-stats/index.html (Performance Charts)

In cases where experts are used, IANA has a reminder system in place as
well as an escalation process to notify the IESG if an expert is not
responding to IANA.

With regards to the protocol numbers described in
arkko-rfc2780-proto-upate, there are only approximately 115 that are
unassigned in the registry.  This is a scarce resource and care should
taken in making assignments.  This document does not change much in
actual procedures with the IANA as a protocol number has not been
assigned under NDA for at least 6 years if not longer.

Hope this information is helpful.

Michelle Cotton
Manager, IETF Relations
IANA