Re: Last Call: draft-arkko-rfc2780-proto-update (IANA Allocation Guidelines for the Protocol Field) to BCP

2007-11-06 10:29:14
At 7:02 AM -0800 11/6/07, Bernard Aboba wrote:
\
Quoting from Ryan McBride:

"The IANA has a heavily bureaucratic process for getting official number
assignments. There are essentially two options for getting a protocol
number assigned: The first is to run your protocol through the IETF on a
standards track. This avenue is closed to us - the IETF has become
monopolized by large corporate interests, and they have no problem with
using patented protocols. They're perfectly happy using VRRP, and they
won't support another standard. The second path is their proprietary
path; you pay for "experts" to review your protocol and if they agree
that it requires the numbers you're asking for, you get it.

Paying for expert review is certainly news to me.  I've cc'ed David Conrad, who
is
GM of IANA, so he can comment. Looking at
 http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/usr-port-number.pl and
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/sys-port-number.pl, though, I certainly don't
see a charge for expert review.

If you look
at the list of assigned protocol numbers, this method appears to be the
favored one. Getting a number allocation has more to do with having
money. Obviously, since we're not a large multinational corporation, we
can't afford to take this path. Since they were unable to help us by
providing a real alternative, our only option is to simply pick an unused
number and go with that."

The article goes on to say:

JA: Are you concerned that at a future date the IANA might officially assign
the port you've chosen to another protocol?
Ryan McBride: Not extremely worried, no. Our hope is that they will accept it
as an official assignment before that has to happen.

In other words, they are squatting.  They're certainly not the first, but it
might
be useful if IANA put something in large letters about the fees or lack of fees
on the application page, to combat whatever other bad info is floating around
there. Not that I really expect blogs to fact check, but it would get anyone who
actually looked the right information.

                                regards,
                                        Ted